Friday, October 11, 2013

Five For Friday

I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for another Five For Friday!  



Raise your hand if you know what this picture means...  That's right, state testing time!  This week we started the MEAP, which means cover up anything on the walls that students might look at for help.  I wish they would look at all our anchor charts and posters on the walls more often when we aren't testing!




I realized a couple weeks back I never did do a full tour of my classroom, but I couldn't neglect to show my October calendar board.  I am a Snoopy fanatic, and I just love the combination of the fabric and the leaves!



Our school had a visit from Paws, the Detroit Tigers mascot, during an assembly to tell the students about a contest being sponsored by Subway and the Tigers to promote standing up against bullying.  We all signed a pledge not to be a bully and got our pictures taken with Paws!




Every week I give my students a timed basic facts test.  I start everyone off with multiplication.  The test has 100 problems, and I give them ten minutes.  I know it's a long time, but I want them to figure out the ones they don't know immediately by using different strategies.  When a student earns three perfect papers in a row, I buy them a candy bar of their choice!  Then I move them on to division.  After they get three perfect division tests, they move on to mixed facts.  I also have my students track their own progress on a bar graph.


My Basic Facts Bundle is available at my TPT Store.



I have been working on a bundle of Halloween activities this past week.  The other night, my husband and I were out for a walk, and I asked him if he had any suggestions for other activities I could put in the bundle.  He immediately said, "How about a Halloween Sudoku?  With Halloween pictures instead of numbers."  Brilliant!  So, I spent the last couple nights working on his great idea, and today I let my kids try one of them out.  They loved it!  Some of them were better at solving it than I was!


I added the cute pics and the cute name, Boodoku!  You can find my Boodoku set of four puzzles or my whole Halloween Activities Bundle (which also contains the Boodoku puzzles) at my TPT Store.



Be sure to check out Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!





9 comments:

  1. I love your BooDoKu! I haven't used any sudokus with my class yet this year, so maybe this would be an easy introduction. For some reason, I think pictures might be easier than numbers. Morning work for Halloween week!
    ~Kristen
    Chalk & Apples

    ReplyDelete
  2. BooDoKu is an awesome idea! Very creative :)

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I love the idea of BooDoKu. Super idea! :)

    Catherine
    The Brown-Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe - love the name Boodoku! I love Snoopy too - if only a teacher's life could be like Snoopy! My class is completely decorated, I would hate to have to cover it all up - we don't have to do it here in Australia, but when I taught in the US I remember doing it.... I'm with you though, it would be nice if they actually used the anchor charts and displays - even just the Word Wall just once!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the BooDoKu! We just taught our fifth graders Sudoku last week during our intervention period and they can't get enough!!! So creative :)

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. ::raises hand:: My boards look like that too! We just finished up our state testing this week. So excited to get back to teaching next week!

    Sara :)
    The Colorful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the BooDoKu! Crazy cute for the kids! I'm intrigued by state testing in October! We don't do ours until April!!!

    Rissa
    Keep Calm and Hoot On

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Intrigued" by state testing in October is such a nice way of putting it! :) We are moving to testing in the spring soon. That makes so much more sense. I teach 5th, but I'm judged by the 6th grade scores. I don't even get to be the one that gives them the test!

    ReplyDelete