Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Two for Tuesday - June 14

I only have two days of school left, and things are a bit crazy, but I thought I'd take a minute and link up for 2 for Tuesday!



My first deal for the day is on another unit I created for this year that incorporates learning about the civil rights movement and my focus on close reading.  You can read more about how I used this unit here.  



This Civil Rights Movement Reading Unit will engage your students as they learn about Linda Brown, Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr., the bus boycott, Jim Crow laws, sit-ins, and much more while working on six Common Core Standards for reading. Included in the bundle are 11 days of lesson plans along with a 29-page student packet and sample answer key. 

Each lesson includes a read aloud with scripted think alouds to model thinking involving the common core standards, shared reading where students do close reading of common texts, and reading workshop. Nonfiction reading skills such as previewing, predicting, accessing prior knowledge, using text features, considering author's purpose and point of view will all be reinforced along with figurative language and making inferences. 

You will need a free membership at ReadWorks.com, a variety of books about the civil rights movement from your school and local libraries, along with one copy of each of the following books: 

My Brother Martin by Christine King Farris
Ruth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander Ramsey
Linda Brown, You Are Not Alone by Joyce Carol Thomas
Freedom Summer by Deborah Wiles
Back of the Bus by Aaron Reynolds
Rosa’s Bus by Jo S. Kittinger
Rosa by Nikki Giovanni
Rosa Parks My Story by Rosa Parks
Freedom on the Menu by Carole Boston Weatherford
Love Will See You Through by Angela Farris Watkins
I Have a Dream by Kadir Nelson

You can get this unit in my TPT Store today for half off!


My second item is my Common Core Critical Verbs Bundle which you can use to prepare your students for Common Core and other assessments. Use this bundle to teach 37 critical verbs essential to test-taking success. 


Included in the bundle are 37 word wall mini posters, 7 sets of weekly student packets where students rate their understanding of the terms, define and write sentences for each term as well as provide synonyms and a drawing that shows the meaning of the word, and 7 critical verb quizzes. There is even a spot to record test question examples that use the critical verb. Answer keys for the packets and quizzes are also provided. Last but not least are an adorable banner to use on your word wall and a "This Week's Critical Verbs" mini poster!

This bundle is also on sale today for 50% off!  Check it out at my TPT Store.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment